"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation." - Jean Kerr

I live on a day to day basis with a certain level of stress. You might surmise that from the fact I have developed hives from stress twice within the past 4 months. You also might choose to attribute this stress to the fact that I have two jobs. From 9-5 I play the role of mild-mannered (ha) customer service agent, but from 5pm on (as well as pretty much my entire waking life) I am the VP/Literary Manager of Raconteur Theatre Company.

For reasons which have never been clear to me there is a general assumption that theatre is easy. We are painted as "slackers" and I can tell you from experience a degree in theatre garners no respect from hiring managers. This is really interesting to me because really what are actors but salespeople, teachers, observers and illuminators of the human condition? Directors and Producers are project managers. Our jobs never end and we work like dogs to get every nuance in exactly the way we want it - while putting out constant fires along the way. Truly, this is a job you have to love... and I do.

If you've ever heard a thespian complaining about tech week, (sometimes referred to as "hell week") you've seen the sense of mingled joy, exhaustion, insecurity, excitement and pain inherent in that bitching. But we do it because we love it.

Just the other day my well-meaning sister and an equally concerned co-worker asked me why I do this when it means my life is so busy. They were surprised by my answer - I'm so much happier when I'm involved in a production. Yes, the rehearsals gnaw huge chunks of time out of my life, deprive me of sleep and regular meals; but there's a freeing stillness to this work. This IS my stress relief.

0 comments: