Sneak-painting

Husband and I moved into our current home last August/September. I had big plans of garden overhauls and painting every room - this was all in addition to the complete bathroom makeover which was completed in August. We painted the bathroom - to finish the makeover and we managed to paint the kitchen before my totally awesome brother in law and his Husband came to visit. The rest of the house... not so much.

I had to let it go. We just didn't have the money, the energy or the time. Until about 3 weeks ago. At that point I began to vent. I let all my frustration with all the little problems in our lives spill out into the open. It began with some impulsive monster weed-pulling and ended with a complete overhaul of how we plan and discuss our finances.

The afterglow of this emotional outburst left me feeling charged - as though even lacking the funds we could make it happen. Then on Saturday I was sitting at home alone while Husband took the pup to the dog park when I realized I was going about it all wrong. Can we afford the grey paint I had been longing for which would give the study that polished, modern and yet neutral look I wanted? No. But the gallon and a half left from the paint our neighbor kindly gave us for our kitchen would nicely complement our black and white art and furniture.

Maybe yellow would do... the only way to find out seemed to be... paint! I grabbed the paint and brush and got some color on a patch of wall before Husband got home. It wasn't so bad. Husband didn't hate it... so that night while he watched tv I popped some more paint up there (surely he wouldn't notice..) Yesterday as he took a nap I painted almost an entire wall.

It's not what I had in mind. But it IS cheery and it does look great with the art. And it was free.

0 comments: